By: Piedmont Staff
Labor Day Dinner Ideas
Kick off your meal with this mix yellow and white corn, jalapenos, chiles and tomatoes. Serve with a side of chips.
One 15-ounce can yellow corn, drained
One 15-ounce can white corn, drained
One 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
One 2.5-ounce can sliced black olives, drained
Four scallions, finely chopped
Two tomatoes, finely chopped
Two jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
Three tablespoons white vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
One tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
– Mix the yellow and white corn, chiles, olives, scallions, tomatoes, jalapenos, vinegar, olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Chill at least 1 hour.
– Just before serving, add the cilantro to the salsa.
Here’s a flavorful twist with homemade sweet and tangy barbecue sauce, red onion, Jack cheese and avocado.
Homemade Barbecue Sauce Ingredients
Two tablespoons vegetable oil
One red onion, chopped
Two cloves garlic, chopped
One 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apricot preserves
Three tablespoons yellow mustard
Three tablespoons apple cider vinegar
One tablespoon soy sauce
One tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Homemade Burgers Ingredients
Two 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
One red onion, sliced into rings
One tablespoon vegetable oil
Six slices Monterey jack or pepper jack cheese
Six sesame seed hamburger buns, split
Two avocados, sliced
– Make the barbecue sauce: Heat the vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the chili powder and cook, stirring, until toasted, about 1 minute. Stir in the ketchup, preserves, mustard, vinegar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth; let cool to room temperature.
– Make the burgers: Combine the ground beef and 3 tablespoons of the prepared barbecue sauce in a bowl; mix with your hands until just combined. Form the meat into six 1/2-inch-thick patties; season both sides with salt and pepper.
– Preheat a grill to medium. Toss the onion with 1 tablespoon of the barbecue sauce and the vegetable oil. Grill (use a grill basket if you have one), turning occasionally, until lightly charred, about 8 minutes.
– Transfer 1/2 cup of the remaining barbecue sauce to a separate bowl for brushing. Increase the grill temperature to medium high and grill the patties, brushing with the barbecue sauce and flipping occasionally, about 8 minutes for medium rare; top with the cheese during the last minute and cover to melt. Toast the buns on the grill. Serve the burgers on the buns; top with the grilled onions, avocado slices and more barbecue sauce.
Add this tasty side to your menu that includes diced ham, crunchy broccoli, hearty pasta, cheddar cheese and a topping of crispy romaine.
8 ounces farfalle (about 2 cups)
Two stalks broccoli, cut into florets
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Juice of 1 lime
Freshly ground black pepper
Two avocados, diced
One 12-ounce piece deli ham, diced (about 2 cups)
8 ounces yellow Cheddar cheese, shredded
One small head romaine lettuce, sliced
Two tomatoes, diced
– Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente (about 2 minutes less than the label directs), adding the broccoli during the last 4 minutes of cooking. Drain the pasta and broccoli and rinse under cool water; shake off the excess. Remove the broccoli and pat dry.
– Whisk the mayonnaise, buttermilk, 1/4 cup chives, the parsley, half of the lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Toss the pasta and a few tablespoons of the dressing in a medium bowl.
– Assemble the salad: Toss the avocados with the remaining lime juice in a large glass serving bowl and season with salt; arrange in an even layer. Top with layers of the ham, broccoli, pasta, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. Drizzle some of the remaining dressing on top and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon chives, or cover and refrigerate the salad and dressing separately up to 6 hours. (Bring to room temperature before serving.)
Click below to learn more.Membership
Sign up to receive our newsletter and emails.